News | Galleria A-Go-Go
October 01, 2014
By the Editors, with reporting by Allyson Bowers | Houston Modern Luxury
Excitement is growing about news that, in 2016, Saks Fifth Avenue will relocate to a new nearly 200,000-squarefoot flagship immediately west of its current Galleria site, opening up its existing space to a slew of new high-end boutiques. Yes, Texas’ largest mall is preparing for a radical redo – which also includes the addition of a luxury residential tower in the Saks wing. And that’s not all! Here’s what else is a go at the Galleria:
- An expanded renovated David Yurman shop should reopen next month.
- Houston’s original Apple store is expanding 50 percent absorbing the former French Connection next door.
- A relocated Bebe unveiled a new design scheme courtesy of Design Republic, an international firm that also counts Cartier and Fendi among its clients.
- Upscale watch boutique Tourbillon is now open, carrying Omega, Breguet and more.
- Coinciding with a redesign of its Galleria store, De Beers this month debuts its first-ever complete jewelry collection, offering entry-point to couture pieces – and watches!
- South African fusion restaurant Peli Peli, which has a bustling location in The Woodlands, will soon open its first Houston location in the former Gigi’s Asian Bistro.
- Premium denim purveyor G Star Raw bowed this spring, with a space where customers can design and personalize jeans.
- A renovated Bath and Body Works will reopen soon, just in time for fab fall fragrances. Plus, pumpkin-pecan-waffle candles, anyone?
- Ralph Lauren is doubling down on the Galleria, opening a Polo shop catty-cornered from his posh Ralph Lauren boutique later this fall.
- Euro-chic Zara is now 18,000 square feet and spread over two floors, with Zara Man and Zara Kids occupying the upper tier.
- Makeup Mecca Sephora is expanding by nearly 4,000 square feet.
- Next door, Trina Turk is now open, touting contemporary sportswear in color California-inspired prints.
- Rolex is opening its first Texas location, a 1,800-square-foot shop in the Galleria.
- A long-awaited expansion means Tory Burch will grow by more than 150 percent.
- Rajeunir Black Cavier will bow soon, utilizing the delicacy in cosmetics and hair care products.
- Bulgari was renovated to resemble its flagship in Rome, with marble flooring and crystal accents.
- John Varvatos has brought his band of rock ’n’ roll style to Texas for the first time with an industrial-chic shop touting whitewashed brick walls and a showstopping chandelier.
- Chanel has remained open during its months-long renovation, which is slated to conclude in December.
- A highly anticipated two-story H&M is coming later this fall. A fourth area location will open at Katy Mills by the end of the year.
- With its pretty patterned totes and accessories, Vera Bradley opened just in time for the back to-school rush.
- J. Jill recently reopened, touting a simply chic design concept and sophisticated takes on seasonal basics.